Python 2.0b1 is released!

Marcin Kasperski Marcin.Kasperski at softax.com.pl
Wed Sep 6 10:15:19 EDT 2000

Nick Bower wrote:

> Guido van Rossum wrote:
>
> > A unique event in all the history of Python: two releases on the same
> > day!  (At least in my timezone. :-)
> >

> umm... could someone tell me why python 2.0 is not called python 1.61
> (going by the relase schedule and amount of changes).  Is there *really*
> that much difference between python 2.0 and 1.6 that a major version
> change was required?

Somewhere on python.org (FAQ for 2.0?) I found the explanation:
different managers consider 1.x product to be not mature, adding a bit
to version number causes them to believe it is well founded and ready
for serious business applications.

>From my experience it seems, this opinion can be true.

>From the programmer viewpoint: the whole mess is not very important for
me. If naming Python 'Dynamic Python 3000 Ultra' can help in language
marketing, I don't care - as far, as there is document which presents
version history and summary of difference between versions.

-- Serwis dla programistów, kącik mieszkaniowy: http://www.mk.w.pl