Too late to propose modules for inclusion in 2.0?

Tim Peters tim_one at email.msn.com
Mon Sep 25 21:50:44 EDT 2000

[Hamish Lawson]
> Is it too late to propose the inclusion of established third-party
> modules in Python 2.0's standard library?

[Jeremy Hylton]
> It is too late.  We will release 2.0 beta 2 tomorrow.  The only changes
> made between 2.0b2 and 2.0 final will be bug fixes.

[David]
> Bloody hell!  That means you're not going to release a usefully functional
> XML library.
>
> Grrrr.
>
> I've been trying since late spring to start using XML in Python.  I had
> something going with 1.5.2, but was stupid enough to think it was a good
> idea to move toward 2.0, 'cause, hey, it advertises that XML batteries are
> included.
>
> I'm getting so frustrated.

*Too* frustrated, I'd say.  I can't find anything specific to comment on
there!  I do know that the XML-SIG people have been making checkins at a
furious pace for 2.0b2, but I can't get a hint from the above whether you've
even tried the CVS version.

If you have and still hate it, bring it up in the XML-SIG.  This is their
job.  While I can't say for certain, it's a plausible bet that they may even
embrace an offer of help more than virtual frothing at the virtual mouth
<wink>.

if-we-waited-for-everybody's-special-feature-we'd-never-release-ly y'rs
    - tim