Is Python worth learning?

Larry Sherrill lsherrill at uswest.net
Wed Sep 13 23:56:47 EDT 2000

JPython, when used to add scripting capability to a java application, is a jar file that
acts like any other set of java classes. It lives in the world of the JVM, and is class
loaded like any other java bytes codes. It just happens that these classes implement an
interpreter. As far as speed is concerned, I haven't measured the computational cost of
interpretation, but we are simply using it for building short ad hoc queries (in human
time) that we would not otherwise be able to build. The one thing is has done is to reduce
the amount of time we need to spend debugging problems because now we can examine the state
of our runtime system whenever we like without taking the system down in order to sprinkle
System.out.printlns all over the place.

Larry Sherrill
SynXis