A very, very newbie question :)

Jonadab the Unsightly One jonadab at bright.net
Fri Sep 8 04:46:32 EDT 2000

scarblac-spamtrap at pino.selwerd.nl (Remco Gerlich) wrote:

> But Jed is so much smaller and faster :)

If you want small and fast, nothing beats UED.
It used to load up from a 360K floppy on my old
ITT XTRA (8088, 4.77 Mhz) with no visible delay.

These days I don't worry about it.  Windoze takes
so many decades to start up (okay, it's about
a minute and a half, but it seems like forever)
that any application I start up afterward pales
in comparison.  And really, I only need to close
Emacs to reboot, unless I'm making changes to
my .emacs, and even then I can often just do an
eval-region (or perhaps eval-defun if I have
altered defvars and want them to take effect),
unless it's a major sweeping change.  It doesn't
make sense to close Emacs if you aren't also
shutting down the OS.  Close Emacs?  How would
you do anything, then?

.
.
.

[Mutters something incoherent about rewriting
 gcc in elisp so that it compiles to bytecode
 and then porting Perl and Python to Emacs...]

[Wakes up.]  What?  Oh, sorry, I was dreaming.

- jonadab