pseudocolor visual and colormap for PIL or tk?

Eric Frey frey at otter.bme.unc.edu
Tue Sep 5 08:29:08 EDT 2000

Is it possible to set up a window to display an image with a pseduocolor visual
and use an installable colormap? I am trying to display grayscale images
on an 8 bit display and the default TrueColor visual results in a limited
number of gray values so the images look posterized. What I would like is to
set up a colormap, allocate the number of grayscale values I need, and then install the colormap when my window is active. I know this will make the other
windows look ugly, but I don't mind. I have done this in C before, but am
wondering if there is a way to do it in Tkinter and python on UNIX. Thanks.