Functionalism (was: Language wrappers)

Jordi Inglada jordi.inglada at ieee.org
Mon Sep 25 11:01:15 EDT 2000

In article
<4A40F460995B330F.4B1A0ED4B489B2A4.C86D74E4EDA9F310 at lp.airnews.net>,
			.
> >Another question. What are Python capabilities for implementing
> >functional programming (a la Lisp, Scheme, Haskell, ...). Can anybody
> >give me a pointer to such a comparison?
> 			.
> 			.
> 			.
> Someone can.  I'm sure they've been written.  Functionalism
> is a very frequent topic in Pythonic circles, and many of
> the discussants have deep understanding of the issues.  For
> the highest-level summary, see
> <URL:http://deja.com/[ST_rn=ps]/viewthread.xp?AN=655749160>.

Thanks for the pointer. I knew this one. Actually I sent my message
after reading it. The fact that Python has map, apply, reduce and
lambda, makes me think that many of the things one may look for into
functional languages are present in Python. (Is anything missing?).

A good reference is the paper by Norvig
<http://www.norvig.com/python-lisp.html>, where he compares Lisp with
Python.

Thanks again.