future of Python: Stackless, Standard -> fragmentation ?

Thomas Weholt thomas at cintra.no
Fri Oct 6 05:53:09 EDT 2000

Hi,

Just wondered if somebody could clear something up for me:

First, the development of Stackless Python: if this is a great idea, why
hasn't this been implemented in Python allready, or at least in Python 2.0?
Is this the sort of thing that Guido and his friends will consider for
Python 3k?

Secondly, could Python be fragmented in the future due to "distros" like
(ActivePython), Stackless Python  and JPython so that we could have alot of
python code that needs special "distros" of Python to run? Shouldn't the
goal of Python be a platform independant core and platform specific things
kept in seperate modules? Is the difference between the different
implementations any reason for concern at all?

Thanks in advance.

Thomas