using 0x1 << i where i is large HELP!!!

William Tanksley wtanksle at dolphin.openprojects.net
Thu Oct 19 14:47:17 EDT 2000

On 19 Oct 2000 10:57:16 -0700, Samuel A. Falvo II wrote:
>On Wed, 18 Oct 2000 01:03:33 GMT, William Tanksley wrote:
>>On Tue, 17 Oct 2000 20:55:18 -0400, Mark Cunningham wrote:
>>>How do you make a long long type in Python?

>>A long type in Python is indefinitely long.  As many bits as you need.

>That didn't answer his question.

How do you know it didn't?  It may not have answered the question you
thought of when you read his question, but it may very well have answered
his.  It certainly was the answer to the question I thought of when I read
it: "how do I get an integer type which holds at least as much as an
'int', and possibly more?"

If I were to assume his question was about the C 'long long' (a seemingly
reasonable assumption): 'long long' is a valid type in gcc and ANSI C '99.
In neither case does it have a usable cross-platform definition. You'll
have to tell us what machine you're working on before we can answer that
question.

--
-William "Billy" Tanksley