A Suggestion (please read and respond)

Aahz Maruch aahz at panix.com
Mon Oct 30 11:20:19 EST 2000

In article <mailman.972918682.25727.python-list at python.org>,
D-Man  <dsh8290 at rit.edu> wrote:

>However, I think the total lack of declaration of variables reduces
>readability and can be an issue for new programmers.

This is a known issue.  Guido deliberately decided to go this route for
Python; this issue may be revisited for Python3000.  Before you ask,
here's my standard Py3K response:

Nobody -- repeat, nobody -- has the answers to these questions.  Py3K is
a codename for a project that has not yet started.  Py3K is predicated
to a certain extent -- to what extent, nobody knows -- on the Fred
Brooks maxim, "Build one to throw away."

There are certain design decisions that were made for Python 1.x that
Guido would like to revisit.  Some of these decisions *MAY* be changed
in ways that break 1.x and 2.x code.  Py3K is the name of the version
that *MAY* have these incompatibilities.

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6

'Does it say something about our culture that "academic" is sometimes
used as a synonym for "irrelevant"?'  --Marc Wilson