What is Python?

François Granger francois.granger at free.fr
Mon Oct 9 16:36:27 EDT 2000

Andrew Kuchling <akuchlin at mems-exchange.org> wrote:

> Really?  I'm not aware that the Quebec office comes up with terms that
> people actually use.  I remember amused columns in newspapers when it
> decreed that the proper French for "brownie" was "gateau chocolat a
> texture spongieux".

There is allway something one can laught at fortunatelly. But overall
they tend to "try and see if it work".

> Although, browsing the Quebec Office de la Langue Francaise's online
> dictionary of computer-related terms at
> http://www.olf.gouv.qc.ca/ressources/termino/ressling.html#vocint

That was probably the link I was thinking of.

>, it
> seems to me that they've gotten better at coming up with decent terms.
> "freeware" -> "gratuiciel", for example, which is kind of cute, and
> "killer app" -> "application phare", which is a good metaphor.

I'll try to find back some other good ones if you want.

> Sometimes they don't even seem to be trying, though: ORB ->
> "gestionnaire ORB", and "OO programming" -> "programmation orientée
> objet", which is graceless.  And why does "TCP/IP" become "TCP-IP" in
> French?

Ho! No!
I allways write it TCP/IP.

> Python is mentioned in the entry for "langage de script", BTW.
> Unfortunately the included terms are mostly Internet-related ones.
> There's no entry for "tree"
Arbre (?)

> or "binary tree"
Arbre binaire (?)

> or "linked list"
I don't know

> I'll never know if "arbre binaire" is correct French or not.

If the guy you speek with is a programmer, binnary tree will make it. If
he is not, why speaking of such a thing ? :-)

> > "Deux choses sont en vastes quantité dans l'univers. L'hydrogène et la
> > connerie humaine. L'hydrogène est detruit dans le coeur des étoiles."
> > - inconnu cité par Noelle Adam
>
> The first sentence is usually attributed to the SF writer Harlan
> Ellison; I think the second sentence is from Adam, or from some
> intermediate source between Ellison and Adam.)

Thanks for this, i'll try to find a better reference based on this.

--
"De quelque manière que l'on divise le monde, il y a toujours la même
proportion d'imbéciles et de c.." - Propos de O.L.Barenton, Confiseur