concurrent access to dbms (was best way to store dbm records?)

Aahz Maruch aahz at panix.com
Tue Oct 10 15:08:33 EDT 2000

In article <8rpeko$4jd$1 at bob.news.rcn.net>,
Michael B. Allen <mballen at NOSPAM_erols.com> wrote:

>Shelve works great Tim, thanks. I have implemented this and it works very
>well for my purposes.
>
>I may have a different issue however. The docs on shelve(and I would imagine
>dbm's in general) report that you cannot concurrently read from it if it is
>open by a writer. If I have interpreted the docs correctly this is true even
>if it is only open by a single writer.

Without going into the details of your specific needs, have you
considered using a full-blown DBMS?  Both MySQL and PostGreSQL would
probably suit you (I have used neither, but they're both claimed to be
multi-user (read "concurrent")).

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6

'Gender' isn't a definition, it's a heuristic.  --Aahz