WinScoc error

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Tue Oct 10 09:17:21 EDT 2000

Werner Geuens wrote:

> Jut ran into an error, using urllib from Windows.
>
> Here's what I tested:
>
> import urllib
> urllib.urlretrieve('http://www.jennicam.org/guests/cam.jpg','test.jpg')
>
> That kind of thing works just fine under OS/2 and - I supppose - Linux. But
> not under Windows.
>
> This is the error message I get:
> IOError: [Errno socket error] (10060, 'winsock error')
>
> I'm using 1.5.2 under Windows, OS/2 and Linux S.U.S.E. Seems only Windows
> would have this problem, but is there a solution?
>
> --
>
> Werner Geuens from his new, not-yet-configured account
> werner.geuens2 at pandora.be

Werner:

I have been struggling myself lately with the idiosyncrasies of Windoze
sockets, but haven't come across this one (yet).  FWIW, the write-up at

	http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/psdk/winsock/errors_3wc2.htm

says:

WSAETIMEOUT (10060)
Connection timed out.
A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly
respond after a period of time, or the established connection failed because
the connected host has failed to respond.

Hope this helps (but somehow I doubt it).

regards
 Steve
--
Helping people meet their information needs with training and technology.
703 967 0887      sholden at bellatlantic.net      http://www.holdenweb.com/