future of Python: Stackless, Standard -> fragmentation ?

entropia entropiamax at jazzfree.com
Mon Oct 9 04:12:35 EDT 2000

Most of the people think that Stackless is better then Python (is more stable,
permits pickling, coroutines and microthreads), but, as JVM has its
limitations, JPython is incompatible with Stackless. I don't know, but I
suppose then Python .NET has its own limitations. I want a good and powerful
programing language, and not one limited by Sun or Microsoft. If we (python
comunity) follow this two companies Python  can never be better than Java or
C# (except in clear syntax ;-)).
If I am a CEO of a big firm and I should choose between Java or Python, then
Python is my last choice (but I, as a programmer, like most). I don't know to
much things about C#, but if it exists a C# language then all the programmers
will work with this.
I prefer a "strong" Python Virtual Machine, Stackless or whatever, with
bindings to other language. We have:
*Minotaur: a Python, Perl and Tcl binding
*PyFort: extensions of Python in Fortran
*Python for Delphi. A wrap of Python dll into Delphi
*JPI: a Java Python Interface, allows the two language to primitively
interoperate
*PyJava: Java Embedded in Pytohn
** and more (I know that it exists a Perl to Python port in Zope)
** Corba

Having two virtual machines in the same computer is not the better form
performance, but now the other languages can use python for microthreads and
coroutines. This bindings should be extended and bettered (can they be in the
standard python distro?). If this can be done, then Pytohn can use Perl, Tcl
and Java libraries (or part of them).
JPython and Python .NET don't dissapear, they only can use all the Python
Power. The incompatibilities should be noted in Python documentation.

In conclusion: There are modules that only work in Windows or Unix. There are
some modules that don't work in Mac but work in Windows and Unix. This modules
exists and are used. Why Python is limited by other languages? Compatibility
is better than incompatibility, but it's not the only choice to be made.

PD: My mother language is not english, sorry for the mistakes.
PDD: I am not a Python or C or whatever guru, sorry for the mistakes