Pretty report printing

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Fri Oct 27 08:42:49 EDT 2000

Dale Strickland-Clark wrote:

> Dale Strickland-Clark <dale at out-think.NOSPAMco.uk> wrote:
>
> >I need to produce a bunch of standard reports from a database and am
> >considering Python.
> >
> >The reports need to be pretty but probably text only (although borders
> >and boxes would be nice). They should be previewable online and
> >printable to any Windows printer.
> >
> >I like the idea of using HTML but it doesn't understand the printed
> >page so headings, headers and footers are trickey.
> >
> >Other options include PDF (which I'd have to research cos I know
> >nothing about it) and driving Word or Excel through COM to build pages
> >- which isn't an attractive thought.
> >
> >How have others tackled this problem?
> >
> >Thanks
> >Dale Strickland-Clark
> >Out-Think Ltd
> >Business Technology Consultants
> >

> Thanks for the info. I'm looking into the PDF stuff at ReportLabs but
> am a bit confused about the compression. This may not be an issue as
> reports are unlikely to be transmitted anywhere but you can be pretty
> sure that if I don't do it, I'll regret it.
>
> Something I read on ReportLabs site suggested that I need to rebuild
> Python to get compressed PDF files. Is this right?
> --
> Dale Strickland-Clark
> Out-Think Ltd
> Business Technology Consultants

Dale:

A somewhat lower-level solution might be the Piddle library, driving the
PDF back-end.  I've used this with success in a couple of quick projects.

regards
 Steve
--
Helping people meet their information needs with training and technology.
703 967 0887      sholden at bellatlantic.net      http://www.holdenweb.com/