Synchronizing CGI processes?

Olivier Dagenais olivierS.dagenaisP at canadaA.comM
Thu Oct 12 19:12:39 EDT 2000

> >synchronization problem:  how on earth can I guarantee synchronization
> >between two (or more) concurrent CGI sessions?  (I need to synchronize
> Hmmmm....  I'd call this a "locking" problem rather than a
> "synchronization" problem.  And you're right: there are few good
> cross-platform mechanisms for this.

Yes, you're probably right about the locking.  I probably wouldn't have to
worry so much about this if I was using a big database system, but I'm
trying to do this as "cheaply" as possible.

> Here's a question: does your
> service permit you to run a stand-alone process?  If so, make that a
> socket-based database server.  This would also make your code run
> generally faster.

As far as I know, I don't think so.  I guess it won't hurt to ask them!
(I'm using http://free.prohosting.com in case someone here would already
know???)  You say "socket-based database server".  What do you mean?  That
the said server would only be accessed by the running CGI processes or
should I rather make it the full server?

Olivier A. Dagenais - Software Architect and Developer
"Someone called 'Type your name here' is impersonating me on the
internet and is posting exactly the same things I am posting!"