WIN32 questions

Drew Whitehouse Drew.Whitehouse at anu.edu.au
Wed Oct 25 02:39:34 EDT 2000

    Mark> "Drew Whitehouse" <Drew.Whitehouse at anu.edu.au> wrote in
    Mark> message news:wlbsw9wlsp.fsf at anu.edu.au...
    Mark> A service wont really do what you want in the general case.
    >>  I was thinking of the service more for the starting and
    >> stopping the client programs, assuming. In a UNIX world I would
    >> have the control system use something like remote shell. eg

    Mark> This would work, so long as the program (or the programs it
    Mark> spawns) doesn't need to interact with users.  The NT/2000
    Mark> concept of "desktops" may get in your way here.

Which unfortunately is exactly what I need. The users will be
interacting with a full-screen GUI via touch screens. What would the
problem ?

    Mark> Everything you describe regarding watching the processes is
    Mark> pretty easy, but maintaing this in a UI for the user,
    Mark> especially with the possibility of users logging on and off,
    Mark> is pretty tricky.  If you are happy with a "normal" program,
    Mark> run from the startup folder, then it should be pretty
    Mark> simple...

One thing I *don't* need is users logging on and off. When the machine
boots up it should immediately login to a pre-defined account and stay
logged in. Does that simplify things ? Things are a bit complex in
that the programs running on the touch screen stations don't run
asynchronously. They all need to start a particular activity at the
same time, at the command of the control system.

-Drew

--
;; Drew.Whitehouse at anu.edu.au      Sci-Viz/VR Programmer
;; http://anusf.anu.edu.au/~drw900          ANUSF VIZLAB