PIL Win32 binaries for Python 1.6 (final)

Bernhard Reiter breiter at usf.Uni-Osnabrueck.DE
Tue Oct 10 18:25:50 EDT 2000

[Posted and mailed]

In article <mailman.971215644.25060.python-list at python.org>,
	"Kaufman, Duane (MED, LUNAR)" <Duane.Kaufman at amermsx.med.ge.com> writes:

> I downloaded the source, and then found sub parts (jpeg-6b, and
> zlib-113) and pieced together a dsp for MSVC++6.0.

Good, you should publish that all somewhere.
Including the PIL binary, if you get it to work.

> Further, getting the last .h files the build seemed to require from the
> tcl and tk distributions, I finally get it built, but when I try to use
> the Image module to, for instance, convert a .gif to a .bmp:

> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
>   File "D:\PYTHON\PIL\Image.py", line 895, in open
>     raise IOError, "cannot identify image file"
> IOError: cannot identify image file
>>>>

> I do not know the innards well enough to figger out what needs to be
> done.

I have no clue ether, but at least you got a step further.
Did you try other image formats? Did you check that this is actually
a GIF (maybe it is the wrong spec for a gif..)

	Bernhard
The FreeGIS Project				            (freegis.org)