"Portability" (was: How to create a Unix Domain Socket?)

Cameron Laird claird at starbase.neosoft.com
Wed Oct 18 14:07:49 EDT 2000

In article <8skj2r$3i9k$1 at nntp6.u.washington.edu>,
Donn Cave  <donn at u.washington.edu> wrote:
		.
>underlying C API pretty closely.  The Python documentation tends
>to be mostly concerned with the Python-specific issues.  Rather
>than look there for every detail of the API, you should refer
>to the documentation on the host system, e.g., "man socket", which
>will be more complete (and more accurate when there are differences
>between one platform and another, as there are with sockets.)
>
>	Donn Cave, donn at u.washington.edu

I'm going to grumble briefly--or perhaps ask for help.
I'm getting tired of calling Python "wonderfully por-
table" or whatever it is I say when I'm acting as an
advocate.  I know what I mean by it, but for most
people, most of the time, Python's not quite up to the
portability of C, and almost every other language is
equally tender on the point.  So:  what's a good word
to express, "available on lots of platforms, more or
less, and, whatever the semantics are on any particular
one, there's an entertaining story to explain why it's
so"?
--

Cameron Laird <claird at NeoSoft.com>
Business:  http://www.Phaseit.net