PythonWin IDE sucks!

Paul Wright -$Paul$- at verence.demon.co.uk
Fri Oct 27 14:52:48 EDT 2000

In article <798jvs4p780j4m9n2pnddj4cti22gpn9pd at 4ax.com>,
Dale Strickland-Clark  <dale at out-think.NOSPAM.co.uk> wrote:
>Matt <mksql at my-deja.com> wrote:
>
>>In article <7tuivs46osods22uumpvsvsap2jocrd4si at 4ax.com>,
>>  dale at out-think.NOSPAM.co.uk wrote:
>>
>>> I've sort of mentioned this before and all I got was general murmors
>>> of agreement but no solution.
>>>
>>> This is such a huge irritation and time waster for me that if it isn't
>>> sorted out I can't really consider Python for future large projects.
>>
>>PythonWin is a tool for working with the Python language. The
>>usefulness of the tool has no impact on the usefullness of the language.
>
>What nonsense. Of course it does. The usefulness of the language is
>directly linked to how quickly you can churn out working code. The IDE
>is a critical factor in this.

PythonWin isn't *the* IDE, it's *an* IDE that happens to come with
ActiveState's distribution of Python. Python isn't tied to one
development environment.

I've never found IDEs to be particularly useful, myself (unless you
consider Vim to be an IDE: I don't as it lacks a debugger!) I regularly
work with large projects (in C) and I prefer to be able to write scripts
to extend the editor rather than using an all in one solution (which
probably doesn't quite do everything I want it to). If a language is
good then the lack of an IDE is not a problem. It is the
straightforwardness of Python that enables you to churn out working code
quickly, not the IDE.

--
----- Paul Wright ------| The trouble with doing something right the first
-paul.wright at pobox.com--| time is that nobody appreciates how difficult it was.