NewbieQ: Viewing lists in PythonWin? Text overwrite?

canimal at my-deja.com canimal at my-deja.com
Thu Oct 26 20:34:13 EDT 2000

I am just learning Python.  I downloaded the ActiveState package and am
pretty happy with it overall.  However I am getting some weird behavior
involving the printing of lists at the interactive prompt.

I am playing around with the nntplib module and downloading articles
from newsgroups.  The way I am getting them they are coming in as a list
of lists.  If I print the list, though, I usually end up with a mess in
the interactive window.  If the list is short (say 100 chars), no
problem.  If the list is medium length (few hundred chars) I get a big
smear of text as though many characters were overwriting each other.  If
the list is long (thousands of chars) I get a long pause and then a
blank line.  This didn't happen in IDLE, so I assume it is a PythonWin
thing.

If I cut and paste from the interactive window I can see all of the text
properly, even the long list of lists.  Apparently the interactive
window is trying to write all of the data on the same line and making a
mess.

Is there some switch I am missing that will give me line wrap?  I don't
know what I am doing and need an easy way to look at my data.

Thanks,
Matt
mwc_ks-at-yahoo-dot-com

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/