Python on Mac OS X w/shared modules

Jeffrey P Shell jeffrey at Digicool.com
Fri Oct 6 09:46:28 EDT 2000

in article mailman.970784064.725.python-list at python.org, Steven D. Majewski
wrote::

>> Last I heard, the "general" checkin procedure will be suspended the
>> coming Monday; patches that are not in by then won't be in Python 2.
>> Only critical bug fixes will be accepted for another week, at the
>> choice of the release manager.
>
> With Tony's patches and the changes I posted earlier, AND
> dropping the --with-next-framework, it seems to build AND
> install properly with dynamically loadable shared library
> modules. The python library isn't packages into a Framework --
> eventually we will want this I think -- but that's not necessary
> for the dynamic modules to work.

Yeah, that --with-next-framework is nasty.  If Python *were* easier to
install and set up as a .framework the way they've got Perl and other things
in there, it would be nice, but I'm not smart enough to deal with that.  :)

The main bad thing about compiling with --with-next-framework is that
sys.executable (which is the path to and including the Python interpreter)
points to the shared library\bundle that holds Python but is not executable.
Zope's installation scripts did *not* like that effect.

It's good to see this effort.  I've made some efforts to get Python working
on the Mac OS X family in the past, but Makefiles and configure scripts and
cc options and ld options are VERY far from being my bag of cats.