Python 2.0b2 on Redhat 7.0

Tim Iskander tiskander at hologic.com
Mon Oct 9 13:58:33 EDT 2000

Hi
apologies in advance if this is not the forum for this, but I am trying
to build python 2.0b2
on a redhat 7.0 (Dell dimension XPS T500) and I get the following

gcc -g -O2 -I./../Include -I.. -DHAVE_CONFIG_H   -c -o intobject.o
intobject.c
intobject.c: In function `int_mul':
intobject.c:327: warning: right shift count >= width of type
intobject.c:328: warning: right shift count >= width of type
intobject.c:353: warning: right shift count >= width of type
intobject.c:367: warning: right shift count >= width of type
intobject.c:404: warning: left shift count >= width of type
intobject.c:408: warning: left shift count >= width of type

which causes all kinds of mayhem at run time, lots of "OverflowError:
integer multiplication" errors.

As far as I can tell there is a conflict in that
/usr/include/bits/xopen_lim.h
is defining LONG_BIT to be 64 when sizeof (long) is returning  4 (32
bits)

has anyone else seen this?
please cc: my email and I will summarize.

thanks
/Tim Iskander <tiskander at hologic.com>