Is this a dream or a nightmare? (Was Re: XML)

Frank Sergeant frank at canyon-medical.com
Sat Oct 7 17:09:29 EDT 2000

"David T. Grove" <pete at petes-place.com> wrote in message
news:39def2ae.8929692 at news.davesworld.net...

David, I enjoyed your rant about ActiveState in this post and in the
interview with "Pete" on the www.CodeMagicCD.com web site.  It had always
annoyed me that ActiveState allowed one to download only a
non-redistributable "distribution" of Perl.  I feared (and I believe it has
been realized) they would take Python in the same direction.

I noticed on the web site that you said

> The true beauty of perl is shown in how rapidly a program can be created:
> a good average for comparison is 1 line of perl for every 25 lines of C,
> TclTk, Python, or Visual Basic, and every 100 lines of C++.

I was surprised to see that ratio of 1 to 25 for Perl to Python.  Could you
say a little about your reasoning in that regard?

Is your PerlMagic port of Perl freely redistributable?

  -- Frank
  frank at canyon-medical.com