Bad documentation (no biscuit!)

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Thu Oct 19 08:42:02 EDT 2000

In article <KXpH5.350011$Gh.10456287 at news20.bellglobal.com>, Olivier Dagenais wrote:

>I have found the documentation provided with version 1.5.2
>_and_ 2.0 to have a big hole in it!  Specifically, the file is
>/lib/os-fd-ops.html and the problem is the constants/flags used
>with the os.open function: it isn't obvious what the flags
>stand for...

The fd operations are just very thin wrappers around the
OS-provided library routines. The best docs to look at are
those for the wrapped library routines.  On most Unix systems a
"man 2 open" will get you 90% of the way there, and reading
some of the pages in the "see also" section at the bottom will
fill in any blanks spots.

If you're on Win32, then I've no clue where such info is to be
found.

The behavior of those flags is somewhat platform-dependent, and
the authoritative source is the OS documentation.  In addition,
I would guess that most people who use fd operations already
know how they work on the underlying platform, so documenting
at the "Python" level is a bit redundant.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  YOW!! The land of the
                                  at               rising SONY!!