ActivePython 2.0 Release

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 20 08:42:21 EDT 2000

"Dale Strickland-Clark" <dale at out-think.NOSPAMco.uk> wrote in message
news:j5a0vs8ker5r3hdgihdrj5735rjlr180un at 4ax.com...
> Indeed. Index help would be very handy.
>
> But hardly the basis for a new 'product'

Repackaging (in a presumably handier form, with maybe a little
bit of changed styling and/or added value) is in fact quite a
frequent basis for 'new products' in real life.  E.g., I've just
bought a nicely printed and bound collected edition of all of
Don Rosa's "Uncle Scrooge" comics, although I have all of them
in the original comic books too, mostly for the convenience of
having them all in one place -- why not?  Cheap enough, and I
love them so much that having one more copy gives me a warm
feeling (I think he's surpassed Carl Barks AND Romano Scarpa,
though this aside will puzzle non-Scrooge-fans and draw on my
head the ire of many dyed-in-the-wool Barksians...).  And I'm
trying to decide whether to buy the newly re-released video of
"Spinal Tap" too (although in that case the cost/inconvenience
of getting it from the States is giving me pause...).

If this goes for comics and videos (for which one also shells
out real $$$), why not for installable binary distributions of
open-source software (which are available for free download). I
hope it stays that way... e.g., that ActiveState doesn't happen
to agree with you and start releasing win32all binary distribs
with LESS functionality than they pack in their builds, so that
most non-MSVC++-owners end up having to download and install
their own build (and even MSVC++ owners are in a quandary, given
the hassle of building win32all from sources...)...!

Alex