dynamically loaded modules (.so files) does not work under openbsd

Courageous jkraska1 at san.rr.com
Thu Oct 26 02:09:39 EDT 2000

Kiyo Kelvin Lee wrote:

> Under OpenBSD, I can't make dynamically loaded modules work.
> Python responsed with "ImportError: dynamic modules does not define init
> function (initXYZ)" upon import XYZ.
> Any ideas?
> Kiyo

The problem sounds as if the module doesn't have an init function.
Are you writing this module? Is it written in C? In a C module,
there must be a function named init[module-name]. So for a module
named "XYZ" a function "initXYZ" must exist.

I suppose something which could cause this error to occur would
be the presence of a library XYZ.so somewhere in your LD_LIBRARY_PATH
ahead of the library you really wanted to import. This could cause
great confusion.

I've never seen this problem myself, however.

C//