Why is "while" ticking me off???

Grant Griffin g2 at seebelow.org
Fri Oct 6 13:28:22 EDT 2000

In article <8rkp12$6fro$1 at nntp6.u.washington.edu>, fpm at u.washington.edu says...

>In article <39DCE8B8.3100BE89 at seebelow.org>,
>Grant Griffin  <g2 at seebelow.org> wrote:
>>
>>Personally, if I wanted to tinker with Python's syntax, my first choice
>>would be to turn "elif" into "else if".  Perhaps there's some
>>parser-related reason this won't work, but I'm always bugged by "elif"
>>because I can never remember whether it's "elif", "elsif", or "elseif".
>>(BTW, if one _had_ to make "else if" into a single keyword wouldn't the
>>last make one make the most sense?  But I suppose that Guido thought it
>>was best to follow the poor precedent of C...)
>
>But C uses 'else if', just what you wanted...

Yup.  I like that one.  In fact, I've even used it once or twice. <wink>

However, if C was the model (and I don't know if it was), then Guido had several
choices: "else if", "else { if ... }" (quite unlikely, in Python...) and the
"#elif" preprocessor directive.

when-guido-choose-'elif'-and-larry-wall-choose-'elsif',-they-both-
   -were-probably-just-having-bad-syntax-days-ly y'rs,

=g2

Grant R. Griffin                                       g2 at dspguru.com
Iowegian International Corporation            http://www.iowegian.com