You can never go down the drain...

Chris Jakeman cjakeman at bigfoot.com
Thu Oct 5 12:26:51 EDT 2000

cLIeNUX user wrote:

> >I'm sure that the FORTH guys have given some thought to building a
> >regular-expression engine in FORTH words, but the only thing I can find
> >is this 1988 BNF parser:
> >
> >       http://www.zetetics.com/bj/papers/bnfparse.htm
> >

> There's a Forth REGEX package on taygeta somewhere with permutation and
> combination regexes.

Look for FoSM (which stands for Forth String Matcher). There's lots of
documentation and it's ANS.

One of the elegant things about it is that it does not include a pattern
interpreter. Instead each pattern is a Forth word, compiled on the fly
and then executed.

Bye for now                       ____/  /  __  /   /   /   /   /
Chris Jakeman                   __/    /  / __    /   /   /_/
[To reply, please           __/    __/  ____/    ___/ __/   _\
 unspam my address]
                           Forth Interest Group United Kingdom
Voice +44 (0)1733 753489   chapter at http://forth.org.uk