"CPAN" SIG?

Martin von Loewis loewis at informatik.hu-berlin.de
Sun Oct 1 04:34:10 EDT 2000

"Hans Nowak" <hnowak at cuci.nl> writes:

> That's just a bunch of links. :)  I don't have anything negative to say
> about the Vaults, mind you, just that it is nothing like CPAN. I take it
> there is no interest in such a project or SIG.

I think you misunderstood the response. There is certainly much
interest in such a project - the suggestion was that the distutils SIG
is the right place to discuss it.

As a developer, I'd like to do

   python setup.py upload

and my package will end up in the CPAN (Comprehensive Python Archive
Network). Likewise, I'd like to put dependencies into setup.py, in the
way of

  setup(...
      depends_on:{'pyexpat':(2,25), 'Python':(1,5,2)}
  )

so there is definitely interaction with the distutils. Also, it is
likely that people participating in the distutils SIG have already
already an opinion on these issues - so there may not be a need for a
new SIG.

Regards,
Martin