pyXML!

Martin von Loewis loewis at informatik.hu-berlin.de
Sun Oct 1 03:34:04 EDT 2000

root at 127.0.0.1 (David) writes:

> I tried to install the XML-SIG's XML package on my Windows machine.  I'm
> expected to go spend a ton of money on Visual C++ to compile some module or
> other.  And if I don't want to (--skip-build)... well, the install script
> doesn't actually work anyway.

Or you could use pre-built binaries, such as available from
http://sourceforge.net/projects/pyxml (prebuilt binaries for Windows
where available for earlier versions, as well).

> I go consult the archives and find several postings that are exactly
> appropriate to my problem.  No answers to them, though.  By that point, I
> wasn't particularly surprised.

So that's probably the reason why you did not ask the same question
again. That may have given the impression that you really care about
solving these problems, I guess.

> It's been quite frustrating.  I've tried poking at the XML stuff several
> times since spring.  Everything was actually pretty OK for 1.5.2, but I was
> foolish enough to think that v2's claims of XML support indicated some sort
> of significant advance.

I'll leave determination whether you have been foolish for others; I
do believe that v2's claims of XML support indicate some sort of
significant advance.

> Instead, it seems to be less functional and less documented.  :-(

I'm not sure what you mean by less functional: yes, it does not
include all the libraries included by PyXML, but no, it is still useful.

As for less documented: the documentation is not complete
yet. Contributions are welcome.

> It's not that I'm unappreciative of XML-SIG.  It's that the efforts seem
> less than complete or honest.  On the front page of the XML-SIG page, you
> should have writ large: "Windows Users Bugger Off!"  Reality is, us WinOS
> bumpkins ain't got the C compilers or H4X0R smarts to deal with the
> package...
>
> A precompiled binary and working install script would make these problems
> just vanish.

So why didn't you use a precompiled binary, then?

Regards,
Martin