Global Configuration Variables

Aahz Maruch aahz at panix.com
Tue Oct 17 13:05:14 EDT 2000

In article <slrn8unup8.k2.mballen at angus.mimosa.com>,
Michael B. Allen <mballen at erols.com> wrote:

>I would like to have some global configuration parameters in a class
>that can be accessed like this:
>
>server = smtplib.SMTP(Config.mailserver)
>
>My class might have default values, be stored in a module called
>config.py, and look like this:
>
>class Config:
>    spoolfile = 'mail.spool'
>    mailserver = os.environ['HOSTNAME']
>    mailaddr = os.environ['USER'] + '@' + mailserver
>
>and then I want to be able to override these defaults with something like:
>
>def configinit(filename):
>    execfile(filename, Config.__dict__)

The only change I'd recommend is making configinit a method of Config
rather than a separate function.

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6

"You have fundamentally misunderstood Usenet.  Please go read the articles
posted to news.announce.newusers, particularly those which clearly explain
that Usenet is not a right, that Usenet is not a government, and that
Usenet is not a democracy.  Hope this helps."  -- rra