[Python-Dev] RE: [Numpy-discussion] RE: Possible bug (was Re: numpy, overflow, inf, ieee, and rich comparison)

Kevin Jacobs jacobs at darwin.epbi.cwru.edu
Sat Oct 14 14:15:50 EDT 2000

Chris Barker <cbarker at jps.net> wrote:
> Note: if the ultimate goal is REAL IEEE 754 compliance, is it possible
> without custom re-compiling your own interpreter? If so, is there any
> chance that it will come any time soon (2.1 ?) , so we don't have to
> have this discussion at all?

This is my ultimate goal.  While I've mostly lurked during this thread, I'm
also working on a draft of a PEP to add as complete a subset of IEEE 754 as
is possible to Python post-2.0.  Maybe it will be ready for 2.1, maybe not.
It depends on how many others step up to do work, vs. argue the details
endlessly.  More details will emerge in early November, since I am up to my
eyeballs preparing for two weeks of conferences.

-Kevin

--
Informatics Consultant                  | Department of Epidemiology