ANNOUNCE: PySymbolic - Doing Symbolics in Python

Huaiyu Zhu hzhu at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 11 01:18:57 EDT 2000

On 10 Oct 2000 14:15:04 -0700, Johann Hibschman
<johann at physics.berkeley.edu> wrote:
>Pearu Peterson writes:
>
>> I have started a project
>
>>   PySymbolic  - "Doing Symbolics in Python"
>
>> PySymbolic is a collection of tools for doing elementary symbolic
>> calculations in Python. The project is in alpha stage.
>
>Neat!  I'll take a look at it.  A few weeks ago, I implemented an
>*extremely* simplified symbolic class.  I just did basic manipulation
>of what I called "terms", which were composed of a constant times a
>number of variables raised to various powers.  That was nice, but a
>real symbolic package would be great.
>
>Didn't Joe Strout start a project like this a while ago, too?

There has been several attempts at this in the past few months.  Is there a
central location to link them together?

On a related approach, is there any attempt to use Swig to wrap around GiNaC
(http://www.ginac.de/)?  It is claimed to be a no-frills C++ engine written
specifically for higher level languages to adopt.

I think an eventually practical symbolic package has to be written in C/C++
for performance's sake. These pure Python attempts would be very useful for
interface designs.

Huaiyu