C's syntax (was Re: Python Formatted C Converter (PfCC))

Gareth McCaughan Gareth.McCaughan at pobox.com
Wed Oct 25 17:53:07 EDT 2000

Erik Max Francis wrote:

> > But that doesn't mean I have to keep silent when somebody
> > baldly asserts that C's syntax is "pretty good".  Yecch.  It's
> > most definitely *NOT*!
>
> In _your_ very obviously biased opinion.

He isn't alone. Not even among those who like C on the whole.
Alex has already cited Dennis Ritchie as another example;
I offer myself as another; admittedly a less exalted one.

> > And trying to classify me as "does
> > not like C" because I *detest* its syntax is just silly.
>
> How can you "_detest_" (your emphasis) a language's syntax but like the
> language?  They're inseparable, bub.

How can you detest a person's appearance but like the person?
How can you belong to a religion but detest some of the things
that have been done in its name?
How can you detest a politician's policy on (say) abortion
but still vote for them?
How can you detest the typeface a book is set in but still
read it frequently and love it?

> Don't like C's syntax?  Don't use it.  Hate its syntax but use it
> anyway?  Live in your own private hell.  Hate its syntax but like it?
> By all means, continue making no sense.

If you think that makes sense, then I conclude that you
can't think of anything really good about C other than
the syntax. This strikes me as odd.

Gareth McCaughan  Gareth.McCaughan at pobox.com
sig under construc