GMP, mpzmodule, Win32 -- advice/comments/pointers...?

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 17 11:51:54 EDT 2000

I'm looking into interfacing GMP to Python (mostly
for pysymbolic purposes, at first) -- but it needs
to work with Python on Windows too, which gives me
my first problem.  I've found a binary GMP.LIB of
GMP 3.0.1 built with Visual C++, that sort of works
(it needs a static-library runtime, while the Python
module needs the dynamic one, but so far they don't
seem to be clashing beyond a few warnings...) -- but
the page is in Japanese, so I can't read the instructions
and reproduce the process on more-updated GMP's; it
has a link to a Belgian page, but that is in Flemish
and I'm having problems understanding it, too.  Any
further suggestion/advice/comments/pointers...?

I've seen the mpzmodule.c in the source distribution,
that doesn't get built on Windows, but with a few
tweaks does build, cooperate with the above GMP.LIB,
and apparently work -- for the unlimited precision
integers only (mpz).  I've also peeked at AMK's/
Möller's gmpmodule.c, but that, too, seems to be
mpz-only.  Any news on Reuben Sumner's "updated
and enhanced" version mentioned on AMK's GMP page?
The docs of gmpmodule.c claim that mpzmodule.c as
distributed with Python is obsolete -- is it so?

Again, any pointers/comments/advice welcome...!

Alex