STARSHIP (and all beopen?) DOWN???

John W. Baxter jwbnews at scandaroon.com
Fri Oct 20 17:54:06 EDT 2000

In article <8sq3qt$jel$1 at nnrp1.deja.com>, Manus Hand
<mjhand at concentric.net> wrote:

> Does anyone know why the starship.python.net machine is not answering
> ping, traceroute, http, and ssh requests?  I thought it was just a
> starship thing, but it looks like it's maybe a complete beopen thing?
>
> www.pythonlabs.org is also not responding?
>
> Any prognosis???
>
> Since python.net isn't up, PLEASE send me any info that can be had
> at manus at bullfrog-tech.com.  Thanks,

pythonlabs.org   appears to be a name service issue:

> server a.root-servers.net
Default Server:  a.root-servers.net
Address:  198.41.0.4

> PYTHONLABS.ORG.
Server:  a.root-servers.net
Address:  198.41.0.4

Name:    PYTHONLABS.ORG
Served by:
- NS.CNRI.RESTON.VA.US

          PYTHONLABS.ORG
- NS1.NIST.GOV
          129.6.13.2
          PYTHONLABS.ORG

  ----------
> server NS.CNRI.RESTON.VA.US
Default Server:  NS.CNRI.RESTON.VA.US
Address:  132.151.1.1

> pythonlabs.org
Server:  NS.CNRI.RESTON.VA.US
Address:  132.151.1.1

*** NS.CNRI.RESTON.VA.US can't find pythonlabs.org: Non-existent
host/domain

> server NS1.NIST.GOV
Default Server:  NS1.NIST.GOV
Address:  129.6.13.2

> pythonlabs.org
Server:  NS1.NIST.GOV
Address:  129.6.13.2

*** NS1.NIST.GOV can't find pythonlabs.org: Query refused

starship.python.net is something else...name service is up, traceroute
from here (western Washington) gets lost in San Jose, CA

  --John

John W. Baxter   Port Ludlow, WA USA  jwbnews at scandaroon.com