Is this a dream or a nightmare? (Was Re: XML)

Darren New dnew at san.rr.com
Sat Oct 7 20:25:58 EDT 2000

Tim Peters wrote:
> When you've got N adjacent boxes, there are N+1 "walls", and trying to map
> those into the ints from 0 thru N-1 inclusive is necessarily ambiguous.
> Slice notation names the walls, not the boxes.

Just like files, too. How do you read the first five bytes of a file?

(I was always amused by the early Macintosh documentation, which went into
great detail about how the pixel addresses were numbered between pixels, and
then became utterly confused trying to number the bytes of a file.)

--
Darren New / Senior MTS & Free Radical / Invisible Worlds Inc.
San Diego, CA, USA (PST).  Cryptokeys on demand.