[FAQTS] Python Knowledge Base Update -- October 9th, 2000

Oleg Broytmann phd at phd.russ.ru
Mon Oct 9 06:23:26 EDT 2000

On 9 Oct 2000, Fiona Czuczman wrote:
> Unanswered Questions :
> - How do I change the name of a process (as viewed by 'ps') from Python?

   Don't know much about Mac. Probably, there is no such thing as "process
name". :)

   On Windows, it is possible, and I saw a code doing that. Probably, Mark
Hammond was the author, if I remember it right.

   On UNIX it is impossible now. To do this, someone will need to wrap one
of "setproctitle" sources. The most known code is "setproctitle" from
sendmail, but it accompanied with not-so-free license. More liberal license
is for similar code in PostgreSQL, so if anyone is interested to do some
work and produce a working module - PostgreSQL is a good place to start.

Oleg.
----
     Oleg Broytmann            http://phd.pp.ru/            phd at phd.pp.ru