How to extend the interpreter?

Martin von Loewis loewis at informatik.hu-berlin.de
Sun Oct 8 12:28:42 EDT 2000

Uwe Ilgenstein <uwe at chromasphere.com> writes:

> I know that there has to be done something more than just
> extending/modifying the grammar but I don't know how to do this. Maybe
> someone can help...

As the next step, you need to enhance the byte code generator,
Python/compile.c. If that results in the introduction of new byte code
operations, you also need to enhance Python/ceval.c (and should
enhance dis.py). Depending on the nature of your extension, other
things may need change as well (code objects, frame objects, the
marshalling routines, ...)

Regards,
Martin