C's syntax (was Re: Python Formatted C Converter (PfCC))

jay.krell at cornell.edu jay.krell at cornell.edu
Wed Oct 25 03:19:18 EDT 2000

-----Original Message-----
From: Glyph Lefkowitz <glyph at no.spam>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.python
To: python-list at python.org <python-list at python.org>
Date: Tuesday, October 24, 2000 10:48 AM
Subject: Re: C's syntax (was Re: Python Formatted C Converter (PfCC))

>"Rainer Deyke" <root at rainerdeyke.com> writes:
>
>> I like the C++ template style:
>>
>pointer<array<int>> a;
>
>is illegal because it will be parsed as a
>right-shift... "implementation before design" seems to be C++'s motto.

Stroustroup admits he could've/should've fixed this in Design&Evolution, but
it is apparently too late.
But, please, "implementation before design" is the overwhelming pattern in
programming. Just look at Java and Python imho. Stroupstroup does lay out
his design goals in The Design&Evolution of C++, a book I strongly
recommend.

 - Jay