dynamically loaded modules (.so files) does not work under openbsd

Laurence Tratt tratt at dcs.kcl.ac.uk
Thu Oct 26 09:47:41 EDT 2000

Kiyo Kelvin Lee wrote:

> Under OpenBSD, I can't make dynamically loaded modules work.
> Python responsed with "ImportError: dynamic modules does not define init
> function (initXYZ)" upon import XYZ.

You need to change Python/dynload_shlib.c:

  from: sprintf(funcname, "init%.200s", shortname);
  to:   sprintf(funcname, "_init%.200s", shortname);

This line is very near the start of the file.

I've been thinking of submitting this as a patch to the main source, but I
don't know what other platforms need the same change as the comment in
dynload_shlib implies.

Laurie