Announcing Jython, the sucessor to JPython

John W. Baxter jwbnews at scandaroon.com
Fri Oct 20 13:54:28 EDT 2000

In article <8sprsr028jb at news1.newsguy.com>, "Alex Martelli"
<aleaxit at yahoo.com> wrote:

> "Grant Griffin" <not.this at seebelow.org> wrote in message
> news:39EFF829.500C37 at seebelow.org...
> > entropia wrote:
> > >
> > > Then I can have PyPepsi or PyNike as trademark?
> >
> > Maybe not...but since "Java" was a term for coffee before it was a
> > trademark for a computer programming language it may not be any
> > different than "PyCoffee", "PyTea", and "PyMocha".
> >
> > the-pepsi-people-and-the-nike-people-are-smarter-than-the-sun*
> >    -people-ly y'rs,
>
> And "Nike" was a term for "victory" (in Greek) from since
> well before anybody raised coffee in the island of Java.
> So why would it be 'more protectable' as a trademark...?

And the US Olympic Committe is once again coming after all the
Washington State businesses with "Olympic" in their names (taken from
the nearby Olympic Mountains, containing Mount Olympus).   Congress has
had ample opportunity (every year in the budget process, for starters)
to rename Olympic National Park since they granted USOC their remarkable
rights over the name "Olympic", and hasn't seen fit to do so.

In a sane world, I suspect that only "Olympic Sports" in Seattle would
have a problem (I can see USOC's point with that one).

USOC is being aggressive enough this time that Congress may actually be
moved to clip their wings (it almost happened last term).

   --John

John W. Baxter   Port Ludlow, WA USA  jwbnews at scandaroon.com