DLL in Python

Mike Müller mmueller at dgfz.de
Mon Oct 23 09:30:18 EDT 2000

Hi,

I need to supply a DLL, which will be called by a third party FORTRAN
program. I would like to write this DLL in Python. I am not sure what would
be the best way to this.

- Looking at the freeze utility I don't see where in the frozen.c I can
define the dll export.

- Another option would be to embed the Python interpreter in a C-program,
which in turn will be a DLL.

I am working with VC++ 6.0 which is integrated with Digital FORTRAN 6.1 (so
the connection between C and FORTRAN should be no problem).

I don’t have much experience with C/C++ (just recently compiled my first
Python extension) so minimizing the work in C would be good.

Also, since the program needs to be installed on a different computer, the
installation of a full-blown Python interpreter with lots of modules is not
an option.

Any hints and suggestion are appreciated.

Mike