os.execl problem on winnt

marc cheatham marcc at yieldworks.com
Sat Oct 28 10:19:28 EDT 2000

I am using ActiveStates' installation of Python2.0, when I try to start
an external program usinging os.execl I get a memory read violation
under NT 4.0 sp4 and Python shuts down.

The test I tried from the interactive window in PythonWin:
 >>>import os
 >>>os.execl('C:\\winnt\\notepad.exe','C:\\temp\\testfile.txt')

where testfile.txt is a preexisting text file. Anyone else had this
problem, or am I doing somthing wrong?

What I want to be able to do is have Python start a external program and
wait until that program is finished before it continues.

Thanks in advance,
Marc