super - is (should) it (be) a reserved word?

Grant Edwards ge at nowhere.none
Fri Oct 6 16:27:08 EDT 2000

In article <39DE2905.1E62C763 at ix.netcom.com>, Thomas Gagne wrote:

>Wouldn't it be nice if "super" were a reserved word referring to the super
>class? Maybe it is... no.  Not according to the index in "The Quick Python
>Book."

This is a pretty common question.  The short answer is that
there may be more than one superclass, and there's no way to
decide which one is the "right" one.  So, you have to name it
explicity.

Personally, I would like some way to refer to _a_ superclass.
If there's more than one, it's an error or undefined or
arbitrarily picks one. Almost all of the code I see/write uses
single inheritance, and a way to refer to the superclass would
be quite nice.  Perhaps it's just my Smalltalk backround
showing through.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  I am deeply CONCERNED
                                  at               and I want something GOOD