Small Python?

Cameron Laird claird at starbase.neosoft.com
Tue Oct 17 06:44:02 EDT 2000

In article <8sfrda01ven at drn.newsguy.com>,
Armin Steinhoff  <a-steinhoff at web_de> wrote:
>In article <39EB2298.5D40A732 at sandqvist.com>, Sam says...
>>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I am quite fond of Python, and use it for several small things... key
>>here is small.
>>
>>Is there anywhere a Minimalist Python? Sort of an adder, instead of the
>>full-blown thing? I would be very interested in having such a beast, a
>>SmallPython...
>>
>>Or failing that, which language is closest to Python - but significantly
>>smaller? Say, 50kb or smaller?
>
> OO + less than 100kb  -> http://www.tecgraf.puc-rio.br/lua
>
>Armin

I second the recommendation of Lua.  In the absence of
any more qualification, it's your best choice.

What do you mean by 50kb?  Is that to include C run-time
modules?

How do you want a language to be close to Python?  In
object orientation?  "Embeddability"?  Syntax hygiene?

I'm surprised no one in this thread--at least the parts
of it I've seen--has mentioned Deeply Embedded Python
<URL:http://www.abo.fi/~iporres/python/>, SLOPPY <URL:
http://deja.com/=dnc/getdoc.xp?AN=584072314>, or earlier
versions of conventional Python, some of which I remember
as in the 100-200 kb range, including all run-times.
--

Cameron Laird <claird at NeoSoft.com>
Business:  http://www.Phaseit.net