StringIO readline() bug??

Chris Arai chris at araidesign.com
Fri Oct 13 04:49:06 EDT 2000

Hello,

I'm new to python, but I think I have found a bug in StringIO.  In any
case I'm having a problem.

readline() on a StringIO object crashes with an attribute error:
>>> fstr.readline()
Traceback (innermost last):
  File "<pyshell#37>", line 1, in ?
    fstr.readline()
  File "/usr/lib/python1.6/StringIO.py", line 83, in readline
    i = string.find(self.buf, '\n', self.pos)
  File "/usr/lib/python1.6/string.py", line 171, in find
    return _apply(s.find, args)
AttributeError: find

The history is that:

1 .  I opened a text file

>>>file=open("legalfilename",'r')

2. then I scoop that file's text into a StringIO object:

>>>fstr=StringIO(file.readlines())

3.  This seems that this work because

>>>fstr.getvalue()   #prints all the text to console
>>>file.readlines()   # does the same
>>>file.readlines()==fstr.getvalue()  #returns a 1
>>>file.readline()     #returns one line
>>>fstr.readline()     #crashes, with the above message

Is it a bug or am I doing something incorrectly??

I'm running Python 1.6.

Thanks,

Chris