PythonWin IDE Rules!

Bill Wilkinson bwilk_97 at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 27 23:16:04 EDT 2000

hmm. I don't really want to respond to this post as written, it is just too
vile and sad.

Nonetheless, for those reading this thread, I want to point out that the
issue at hand is easy to work around, and indeed you will be missing out on
a wonderful tool if you don't take the time to learn how to use PythonWin.

Some points for everyone  to note:

In the module pywin.framework.scriptutils, there is a function called
GetActiveFileName that will return the full path of the file currently being
edited. Using the path you can write functions to execute your script any
way you want.

You can map keys to run your functions by making a new cfg file in the pywin
directory.  This is in the documentation.  From the help menu choose
PythonWin and then look at "keyboard bindings".  This is really  sharp, and
I have had great fun with it.  Almost as much fun as I have customizing VIM
;) .

I use the debugger with a helper function that calls the current file in a
separate process.  This all seems quite natural.

My config files currently allow me to run my scripts in the following
ways(each has its own key bindings).
1.  Within the current running version of pythonwin, but in its own name
space, and with some module clean up. I never have name space problems.
2.  In a separate process using the debugger.
3.  In a new console.

Truly, if you use Python under Windows, give this further study, you will
realize that it is a great tool.  Mark has consistently made improvements to
this app and it has become a really powerful tool.  Combined with Scintilla
(Thanks Neil), the look of ones code can be spectacular both on screen and
on paper.

Word has it that Mark has even more improvements on the horizon, but you
don't need to wait for them.  Read the docs, browse the code, experiment.
You will be glad you did.

Bill