[Numpy-discussion] Re: numpy, overflow, inf, ieee, and rich , comparison

Steven D. Majewski sdm7g at virginia.edu
Wed Oct 25 00:57:14 EDT 2000

On Wed, 25 Oct 2000, Donald O'Donnell wrote:

> Yes, a rational builtin type would be nice.  But automatic
> conversion of int to rat?  No Way -- I want to be in control.

You've got the idea of automatic conversion backwards.

The correct answer is a rational number.

You want it always automatically converted to an int even if that
automatic conversion makes it the wrong answer.
I only want it converted automatically if it's a simpler but still
correct answer.

You can replace rational with float above and keep the same logic,
except change "correct" to "more approximately correct" .

---|  Steven D. Majewski   (804-982-0831)  <sdm7g at Virginia.EDU>  |---
---|  Department of Molecular Physiology and Biological Physics  |---
---|  University of Virginia             Health Sciences Center  |---
---|  P.O. Box 10011            Charlottesville, VA  22906-0011  |---
		"All operating systems want to be unix,
		 All programming languages want to be lisp."