Organizing Python Code

Russell Wallace rwallace at esatclear.ie
Mon Oct 2 02:28:39 EDT 2000

Thomas Gagne wrote:

> I'm trying to do a project with Python and I'm not convinced I've set things
> up properly.  In writing C code I've grown accustomed to creating separate
> files for each function.

For each function, not for each module?  I wouldn't recommend this in
any language, but whatever works for you.

> This doesn't seem to really be the right thing to do
> in Python since the top of each would include a bunch of "import" or "from"
> statements.  On the other extreme, I don't like having really big files
> either.
>
> What's everyone else doing?  What's idiomatic?

I do basically the same as in C.  I have one file per module.  Each of
these has at the top:

    from foo import *

where foo is the name of my project.  Foo.py consists of:

    from first import *
    from second import *

etc, where first, second etc are the names of the modules.  So each
module can access what it needs without having to carry a lot of import
statements around.

--
"To summarize the summary of the summary: people are a problem."
Russell Wallace
mailto:rwallace at esatclear.ie
http://www.esatclear.ie/~rwallace